Third Party Billing

Written annual notice to parents whose children are on Medical Assistance or Minnesota Care

School districts must try to get funding from other sources for health related services given under special education. The district provides health related services in the form of Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Services, Personal Care Assistant Services, and Transportation.

If your child has Medical Assistance (MA) or Minnesota Care (MnCare) and no other health insurance, the district must inform you each year in writing that:

  1. The district will bill medical assistance or Minnesota Care for the health related services on your child’s IEP, Minn. Stat. § 125A.21, Subd. 2(c)(1);

  2. You have the right to receive a copy of education records the district shares with any third party when seeking reimbursement for IEP health-related services, Minn. Stat. § 125A.21, Subd. 2(c)(2); and

  3. You have the right to withdraw your consent to disclose your child’s education records to a third party at any time. If you withdraw consent, the district may no longer share your child’s education records to bill a third party for IEP health-related services. You can withdraw your consent at anytime and your child’s IEP services will not change or stop. Minn. Stat. § 125A.21, Subd. 2(c)(3).